- Diverse background as a writer and editor across multiple platforms and industries
- Over twelve years of experience as a writer, editor, and project manager
- Accomplished author, editor, and content creator
- Highly motivated and committed
- Exceptional writing, editing, critical thinking, teamwork, and organizational skills
- Meets challenges and adapts to rapidly changing environments
- Excels in collaborative environments but well-versed in self-supervision
- Extensive experience with web-based platforms, web authoring tools and software, PC and Apple products, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobat
Freelance Writer and Editor: 2007 –
- Writes and edits a variety of content: ghostwriting, including financial newsletters and articles; substantive editing; copywriting; blog content; corporate newsletters; journalism; social, political, and economic op-eds (personal and ghostwritten); humour columns; literary, film, and television reviews; sports writing; fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction; ad copy; interviews and more for a wide array of clients and venues including FLOOD magazine, Spafax, International Conference of Prices & Markets, Journal of Prices & Markets, Boston Language Institute, ISO New England, University of Massachusetts Press, Washington Square Review, Indiewire, Flymedia, TSN, MTV, Reader’s Digest, Maisonneuve, Jade Maple, Playboy, National Post, Toronto Star, Insomniac Press, Cosmonauts Avenue, Knowledge Problem, and many others.
Instructor, Concordia University and Continuing Education Department, Montreal: 2013 – 2015
- Lead students through exercises and discussions of writing, community, and their own work.
- Designed, assigned, and evaluated assignments.
- Lead workshops of students’ writing in fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry
- Taught undergraduate and graduate students as a guest instructor
- Taught permanently in the Continuing Education Department
Associate Director, Summer Literary Seminars, Montreal: 2013 – 2015
- Developed new programs and initiatives.
- Oversaw staff and budgets.
- Liaised with faculty, guests, publishers, editors, media, and agents.
Founder and Editor in Chief, The Barnstormer: 2011-2013
- Wrote, edited, and curated content.
- Edited, copyedited, and assisted in design of website.
- Liaised with writers and contributors.
Programs Director, Summer Literary Seminars, Montreal: 2008 – 2011
- Planned, staffed, budgeted, and managed literary programs in Kenya, Lithuania, and Montreal.
- Developed curricula for two-week university credit Creative Writing and English courses.
- Liaised with faculty, guests, participants, publishers, editors, media, and agents.
- Developed courses for indigenous students at international literary programs.
Managing Editor, Matrix magazine, Montreal: 2007 – 2009
- Drafted grant requests for the Canada Council, CALQ, Heritage Canada, and Arts Montreal
- Edited, copyedited, and assisted in design of issues, and curated reading series.
- Liaised with Concordia University faculty and administration to formalize relationship.
- Editor, The Fall, by Louis Marrone, in-progress
- Editor, Devil’s Own Country, by Christian Charette, forthcoming
- Editor, Oxford Bags, by Louis Marrone, 2016
- Editor, Squarehead, by Brian Davis, Insomniac Press, 2015
- Editor, Chloes, by Dean Garlick, Lodge Press, 2014
- Editor, The Taste of Penny by Jeff Parker, Snare Books/Dzanc, 2009
- Copy Editor, Short Accounts of Tragic Occurrences by Nick McArthur, DC Books, 2009
- Copy Editor, the small blue by Jay Millar, Montreal: Snare Books, 2007
- Copy Editor, Thumbscrews by Nathalie Zina Walschots, Montreal: Snare Books, 2007
- Copy Editor, FAKE MATH by Ryan Fitzpatrick, Montreal: Snare Books, 2007
FULL LENGTH PUBLICATIONS
- Bourbon & Eventide, poetry, Invisible Publishing, Halifax/Toronto: 2014
- Cheap Throat: Diary of a Locked-Out Hockey Player, co-writer, Toronto: Found Press, 2013
- Working Up the Bottle, novel, MA Thesis, Montreal: Concordia University, 2011
- Distillery Songs, short fiction, Toronto: Insomniac Press, 2011
- JACK, poetry, Montreal: Snare Books, 2008
- “Poverty on Television: “Shameless” and the American Dream”, essay, December 2016, FLOOD magazine
- “The Shame of Pageantry”, essay, 2017 Best Canadian Sportswriting, ECW Press
- “Courage (for Gord Downie)”, essay, May 2016, FLOOD magazine
- “Peel Slowly and See: Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy, the Past, and ‘Pond Scum’”, interview, January 2016, FLOOD magazine
- “On Padgett Powell”, essay, December 2015, A Manner of Being (UMass Press)
- “Depression and the Sitcom”, editorial, November 2015, Indiewire
- “The Ubiquity of Otherness”, review, September 2015, Montreal Review of Books
- “Nos Amours: The Expos Remembered”, review, March 2014, The National Post
- “The Uncle Michael Show”, editorial, April 2014, Reader’s Digest
- Selections from Bourbon & Eventide, poetry, Spring 2014, Washington Square Review
- “Mad Men and Brian Burke”, editorial, January 2012, The Toronto Star
- “Hugging Christie Blatchford”, editorial, December 2011, Maisonneuve
- “Club Soda Unbridled”, Fiction, April 2011, Joyland
- “Peter Jackson: Writer, Director, and Moderately Priced Cigarette”, poetry, December 2010, Branch Magazine
- “Five Pounds Short and Apologies to Nelson Algren”, fiction, September 2010, The Journey Anthology 22
- “Jesus is Just Like Me”, fiction, August 2010, Geist
- “Northernton 1.1”, Fiction, fall 2010, fillingStation
- “The Follicular”, poetry, March 2009, The Puritan
- “Jesus of Thunder Bay”, fiction, May 2008, Pistol Anthology
- “The Convenience of Jack”, poetry, January 2008, Matrix 79: The New Underground
AWARDS, RECOGNITION, AND MISCELLANEA
- Canada Council for the Arts grant recipient, 2016
- National Magazine Awards Judge, 2012 – present
- ReLit Award shortlist, 2012
- Journey Prize longlist, 2010
- QWF A.M. Klein Prize for Poetry Finalist, 2009
- Expozine Best English Book Finalist, 2008
- Master of Arts in English Literature and Creative Writing, 2011, Concordia University
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Creative Writing, 2007, Concordia University